Sunday, December 18, 2016

Finding Home By: Erin Mahoney

Finding Home
Author: Erin Mahoney
Publisher: Lulu.com
Published: May 2016
Format: Paperback
Pages: 404
Rating: 3/5
Summary:
Kiley is spending the summer in a small town in North Carolina. She is looking forward to a summer of fun with no responsibilities. Kiley instantly bonds with Renee, an employee at her uncle's bookstore. Renee grew up in this small town and introduces Kiley to her laid-back lifestyle filled with friends and family. Included in her family, is her brother Austin, who has a thing for short-term relationships. Austin isn't looking to settle down any time soon. He loves playing the field. And then he meets Kiley, and everything he believes is turned upside down. From the first moment he meets her, he knows there's something special about her. Kiley, Renee, and Austin each start the summer out on separate paths. But their journeys intertwine and bring them closer to becoming who they’re meant to be. As the sun sets on summer, they each find a part of themselves they never knew existed.

Review:
First, I want to say thank you so much to Erin Mahoney for sending me a copy of Finding Home for an honest review! Also, so sorry it took this long to get your review done!

So this story has a lot going on, and it honestly left me with a mix of emotions. Personally, I loved how there were different points of view, but I felt like there were two stories written in here, where it could have been separated into two books instead with both lives and POV (Kiley and Renee).

You start off the story really fast, and it jumps right in, and you know the basics of what's happening within the first chapter. I found it to be pretty fast paced throughout the novel, which was good, because it actually left me wanting to know what was going to happen, even when I had to put the book down to go to work. Here's where it kind of lost me though...

I felt like although the characters were adult age, they didn't always seem to be perceived as it. I felt like they came off more as teenagers by their language and actions. Now you all know I've read a plenty of *Steamy* scenes, and have read many scenes that were a little more fluffy. I'll definitely say that on a rating, this was very clean and part of me really loved it, and the other part was like....


Alright, moving on, let me explain what I really did love about this book! Personally there was one section of the book where I honestly felt like I had something lodged in my throat, because it was so sad and heartbreaking to read. I obviously don't want to ruin it, so I'll try my best to explain. You really feel the pain she has throughout the novel, even though there were moments that kind of brought on out of nowhere. Truth be told, I could connect with that because there have been many moments where things just randomly pop into my head and change my entire day!

Honestly, Renee and Kiley are seriously friend goals! Renee is so hilarious and definitely holds her own, even if she may not realize that she has so much going for her! When you read a little bit more on her life in this novel, you really see where her head is at, and how she grows on her own as well!

I will say that there were times when I was reading this that I just couldn't understand some of the emotion being portrayed. Like there were moments where the characters went from mad to accepting within a paragraph, easily forgiving anything that happened, without having that strong pull instead.

Throughout the novel there were some pretty hilarious moments! Especially at the beginning where there is talk about having children and taking care of children! Honestly felt like that was me reading it! There was also a scene that brought it all together closer to the end that I honestly felt so much throughout! THE FEELS!! I don't even know when I stopped! The crying, the love, the heartbreak, and everything in between! It was so amazing!


"I don't think I was capable of this kind of love. I didn't even know it existed."

Honestly throughout I could see that Austin had a lot going on. Can I just say that the fact that he's a cook is like.... *drooling* yeah...same here! He definitely needed someone like Kiley to come in and change his ways, but I totally didn't see the ending coming. I was stuck in a moment where I wasn't sure what the outcome would be, but everything (literally everything) finished up in the last few chapters and I was like...WOW.

I really hope that there is a second book to this, because I didn't feel like anyone's ending was finished. I wasn't to read more about Kiley, Austin, Renee and the family. Including a not so great character finally get what they deserve! I felt like Kiley really started to grow in this book, and you see her from the beginning to end, get more of a backbone, and take on the things she knew she wanted, even if it meant not getting everything she wanted. She made decisions based on how she was feeling and what she wanted, and it was pretty awesome!

A couple quotes that caught my eye were some that really captured their love story.

"The feelings I had for Austin were so distinct and real."

"If you love someone, you just do it. You do things without them asking because you know it will put a smile on their face. You want to do something just to make the person you love happy."

Overall I really did like the novel! It had a lot of great components that I was captured with and felt honest feelings for. I just felt that it was maybe too clean and not as raw with the language or actions. I would recommend checking it out, because like I've said before, we all like different things! It was a cute love story, with real decisions and problems.

That's my review of Finding Home, I hope you enjoyed it!

So until the next time, Keep Reading!
Your Graduated Bookworm!! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top