Friday, January 1, 2016

Attachments By: Rainbow Rowell

Attachments
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Published: March 2012 (Originally April 2011)
Publisher: Plume
Format: Paperback
Pages: 323
Rating: 3/5
Summary:
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you..."

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neil can't believe this is his job now--reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be :internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers--not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say...?

Review:
Is it ever possible to fall in love with someone you never actually met in person, but rather by the words they wrote, intended only for the eyes of a friend? Well that is what this story is all about. I think that most people believe that it's love at first sight that will get you, but I think that it's possible to love someone other than by their looks.

There was a lot going on in this novel. From the emails of the lives between Jennifer and Beth, to Lincoln's own issues with living arrangements, it had a lot of ups and downs. This was definitely a creative story, and being in the time now where social media and e-mails are more common than snail mail, it does give the aspect of current events (Although it was set in late 1990's-early 2000).

I really enjoyed the e-mails going on between Beth and Jennifer. You really got more of an understanding of their own lives through it, without having too much information. I found that you got the main aspects of their lives, and I absolutely loved their witty humor. I found myself at times laughing at all of the little comments, one-liners, and sarcastic remarks. I even found myself towards the ending of the book literally laughing out loud. Beth seems like the normal everyday girl that you would meet anywhere, who would become your friend instantly.



Now here's where it goes a little downhill. Reading Attachments, I had many moments where I found it incredibly hard to read. It was mostly during the parts where it was only Lincoln, and what he was doing when he was not reading e-mails or at work. Although I really like the aspect that he is a shy, nerdy guy who just enjoyed hanging out with friends and chilling at home, (who just so happens to have a hulk-like body) I found that he sort of lead a somewhat boring life. The man is 29 years old and does not really know what he wants to do with his life. I really LOVED the ending and how some things just happen to fall into place. I didn't really enjoy the fact that it took more than half of the book to finally get there.

There were times where I did get some feels towards the life all three characters were living. Beth had someone who loves her so much, but I question if she is truly happy. Jennifer found someone so incredible, but is she really mentally and emotionally ready to move forward? Then that leaves Lincoln. He had what some may say, the best relationship that could possibly happen. What happens to all three of these characters takes a turn, and it really makes you think about whether or not it is all fate or just coincidence.


reaction jimmy fallon no school angry


While reading, there were two parts in the novel, and if you have read it, then you will completely understand why I chose them...

"I pictured a girl who made every moment, everything she touched, and everyone around her feel lighter."

"There's no air in space."

So overall I did enjoy the book, but I found it pretty hard to get into. I liked the writing style and how it was definitely different, by using e-mails to discuss another characters life. It had a lot of humor and wit throughout the novel, but i only found that between Beth and Jennifer. When it came to Lincoln's parts, I found him to be a little dull was a character, and although I really would have wanted more out of him, I did find him quite enjoyable as a character. I think if there was more depth to him, it would have been better.

Also, because the ending finished so early, after the journey through the e-mails, I think it would have been better to have more towards the story after what happens to Beth and Lincoln. I think that if the parts where he was reading the emails happened a lot faster, it would have made the story a little more enjoyable, by adding more towards the end. It was definitely a different read for myself, and I'm sure a lot of you loved it. This was my first novel I read for Rainbow Rowell, and I guess all i can say is, I hope some of her other books are better than this one. I feel like some of her YA books are better than her NA, just because it may be a bit more relatable than Attachments. I found myself really enjoying the last 150 pages, only because I found that it was finally getting somewhere.

thechive  excited yes thumbs up thechive

So there is my review for Attachments everyone. I hope you enjoyed it. If you haven't read it, I would definitely say check it out, because you may actually love it more than I did!

So until the next time, Keep Reading!
Your Graduated Bookworm!! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top