Friday, August 14, 2015

I Like Him, He Likes Her By: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor


I Like Him, He Likes Her (Alice #13-15)
Author: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Publisher: Antheneum Books for Young Readers
Published: May 2010
Format: Paperback
Pages: 640
Rating: 2.5/5
Summary:
Find a Penny pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck...except, of course, if that Penny is charming and pretty and funny, and the person picking her up just happens to be your boyfriend. Alice McKinley's freshman year is not as "lucky" as she was hoping it would be. But she is trying to look on the bright side. There are worse things than being single for a semester...for a school year...for the whole summer...At least Alice can count on her best friends for support-in theory, anyway. Lately they haven't been all that there-for-her. In fact. it seems like Pam and Liz are suddenly involved in intense, secret conversations whenever Alice is around.

Single is starting to feel a whole lot like solo.



Review:

I like him, He likes her is the first bind up from the Alice series. Alice's story starts at a much younger age, but when I bought the book I figured I would be able to start right at Grade 9 and read from there on. Little did I know that I would know pretty much everything there is to know about Alice McKinley within the first couple hundred pages of the book.

I didn't rate this one very high, because I found that Alice seems very young (almost even young for her age). She also gives the vibe of that annoying little sister you had, always looming around and getting into everyone's business... (I guess I can relate there, with me being the youngest and all). There were certain aspects, where I caught myself almost talking to Alice saying "No don't go there! Don't do that Alice! What are you doing?! I guess being older than her while reading it made it a little harder to understand it in her ways.


I think that she was always thinking about herself when it came to someone's problems, like how it would end up affecting her rather than wondering what the other person would do. I also found that after each "book" in the novel would start over and repeat almost half of what I just read, like Lester-her brother's- living situation, her dad, how long she's known Pam and Liz for...


I do think that there were some really funny moments of simple embarrassment that caught me laughing to myself (glad that no one was around to hear me!) Sleepover-With boys!- the infamous pineapple cake, and the drama that never ends!


I think what finally made Alice a little more acceptable was when she ended up going to Camp Overlook. She finally got the understanding of what it's like to be in the other person's shoes, and she finally got a taste of responsibility-other than working at her dad's store.


I'm sure as most of us know, who have already been through High School, that your Freshman year is always the hardest, with trying to make new friends, stay with the old ones, and try not to get trampled by the seniors along the way; to stay under the radar, but also try to make a point of who you are while being there for four years.


This left me not in a loving mood, but still interested to see what Alice is up to in her Sophmore Year. 



So until next time, Keep reading!
Your Graduated Bookworm :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top