Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Rebel Soul By: J.C. Hannigan

Rebel Soul (Rebel #1)
Author: J.C. Hannigan
Publisher: J.C. Hannigan
Published: June 2016
Format: Paperback
Pages: 238
Rating: 5/5
Summary:
Tessa Armstrong has one more summer at home before heading off to college with her best friend. She’s been counting down the months, waiting to be free of her overbearing brothers and overprotective father — not to mention getting out of the small, suffocating town she’s grown up in. The one thing Tessa doesn't count on is falling in love, least of all with Brock Miller. He’s the kind of boy her father has always warned her about. He’s older, mysterious, and a little dangerous. 

Brock has had a hard past, and the whole town not only knows it, but won’t let him forget. Brock has come back to take care of his ailing mother and struggling younger siblings. He doesn’t have time to fall in love, especially with one of the town’s darlings, but sometimes, love comes fast and fierce. 


Can Tessa and Brock find a way to each other despite their pasts and the obstacles their families present?


Review:
First I just want to say how amazing it was to meet J.C. Hannigan in person! I've probably said it a thousand times, but the word are always true! I've been a fan (even not having read her books) ever since I started my blogging. I've adored her covers and getting to finally hold them in my hands as well as meet the person who wrote such words is inspiring! For me, it really shows that you can go for your dreams!

Alright so moving onto this review, since that's why you're here...I'm hoping! :) This book had everything you wanted in a small town country inspired novel! It had me wanting to go to the nearest place to find my own Brock! I found it incredibly fast paced, and never left room for lulls.

First I seriously want to say how amazing it is that this entire novel is set in my home of Ontario Canada. Of course there are little bits of talk from Alberta, but overall having it set in Canada was amazing!



So throughout this novel, you are getting more of an understanding of who Tessa and Brock are as individuals. They have a lot of similarities which I cannot fully dive into without spoiling the novel for you...sorry!! But I do have to say that they both had a lot of struggle from beginning to end. Tessa really has to pick her battles, especially when it comes to her brothers and father. I mean overbearing would be an understatement with what she goes through, but you can tell that it is out of love...even though they drove her nuts all the time!


Brock has his own demons, but when you uncover what the beginning line was that started the rumor mill and basic hatred from others, you really see a side of him that you almost start to break apart for. You also see who he is when he is around his family. He is definitely an uncle you'd be attracted to, and the amount he does for his siblings is just incredible!

So you all know that it is seriously hard for me to cry. Like in movies, reading, anything! When I read a specific scene fully, I literally cried. Maybe not bawling my eyes out (because I don't do that) but I actually cried. It felt so close to home and so real, that I felt the pain entirely. I swear a piece of me crumbled after reading certain parts.




"Your opinion is worth more than every other person in this town put together. If you think I'm worthwhile, that's all I need."

Of course from beginning to end there's an instant connection, although it wasn't Instant-love, which was amazing! You could see the push and pull, and trying so hard to obey orders, but let's be honest here. Why is Forbidden Love so dang attractive?!!

As you get more towards the end, you see something more than lust, and boy let me tell you my glasses must have been steaming, because that book sure was!! Where is this Brock, and where can I get one of my own?? I'll even take the dog, because that's some awesome loyalty in there too!! Tessa and Brock seem to go through a lot (Not necessarily together), and there were moments where I thought that someone was going to figure it all out, or that a weapon would be pulled out after knowing what was going on between them. Truthfully, I found their love to be more than physical. It dealt a lot with healing, as well as knowing that you don't need to prove yourself to everyone, because not everyone really matters!

The amount of love and protection they have for one another is so evident, that I felt it throughout the novel. In the middle of a lot of pain there was love.


Moving on from that, you really see Tessa (mostly) grow as a person, and let me tell you when she finally stood up for herself I was so excited, and totally was cheering her on! The comments she fired back at everyone who told her not to do something, was incredible!

Of course I found some quotes throughout the novel that kind of explain as well as showcase a lot from the story:

"We might work, we might not, but that's for me to find out and you can't shelter me from that."

"You don't get to assume a girl's body is yours just because she looked in your direction...No means no--"

"They didn't know who we were together. They didn't know how he made me feel: safe, cherished, desired, protected and yet equal."

Overall this was a great novel! I seriously loved reading about Tessa and Brock, and although I know they will make an appearance in the next book, I seriously would love to read more about them!! Especially after that ending!! SO GOOD! It so fast paced, with a roller coaster ride of emotions and feels. There were plenty of FEELS! I honestly could not stop reading, and when I had to, I wish I was reading more. I felt like part of me was actually within the book, and I really could connect with some of the characters. I really loved how much love and protection that also showed honor throughout!



So that's all for my review, I hope you liked it, and I totally recommend reading this!!

Until the next time, Keep Reading!
Your Graduated Bookworm!! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top