Saturday, October 10, 2015

How To Be Bad By: E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski, and Lauren Myracle

How to Be Bad
Author: E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski, and Lauren Myracle
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: April 2015 (first published May 2008)
Format: Paperback
Pages: 352
Rating: 3.5/5
Summary:
Jesse, Vicks, and Mel each has her own reason for wanting to get away from their nowheresville Florida town. Add in a hot (and harmless) hitchhiker, and impending hurricane, and a close encounter of he gator kind, and the result is one sizzling road trip where the journey is far more important than the destination. Now in a fresh new package, How to Be Bad will take even more readers along for the ride.

Review:
Alright. First off let me say, that this book took me way too long to finish, especially for a short read. Normally I have these books done within the day, even when I've gone to school and/or work. I have been a little off my reading game, but School is my top priority. Now over with that little rant, and onto the review :)

So How to Be Bad was a book that I happened to be picking up randomly at the bookstore, and I thought that it sounded like a cool read. Who says women can't go on an adventure together without the help of anyone--including males, although some do come into the picture--and just have some great fun. This story took girls night to a whole new level, expanding it into a jam packed weekend!

I do have to say that there were a couple parts that seemed to go on a little bit more slowly than the rest, and I didn't really enjoy the fact that it was only a story within three days. I just really wanted more to the story. More adventure, more laughs, more of everything! It was entertaining, and I felt like if there was more to the story, I may have really loved it.

So the humor within this book is super funny. Me being from Canada, and the authors having added that aspect into the story, definitely made me laugh at some of the things that even I don't really think too much about. If anyone has read this story, and they know about the "Poutine" scene, then they will understand where I'm coming from (even if you're not from Canada!)

The relationship between Jesse, and Viks, you can tell is really close, but obviously like most people, there comes a time where you just need a little more space. Which I would say is incredibly hard to do when stuck in a car for who knows how many hours before the next stop! Also having a new girl like Mel come into the picture between two best friends, can make some people a little more territorial. However all it takes is one little connection between the two to know that this group of girls is here to stay.

Now onto those hot boys! I really loved Marco's character, and the fun little comments he and Mel shared. Also I think that he definitely didn't see what was coming his way when all three girls first met him that Friday night! Also with Vick's Boyfriend, I think that when it comes to long distance relationships, you need to have communication. Maybe not constant, but it's a two-way street, and I can get an understanding of how Vick's was feeling....Maybe not at the time she made a huge mistake, but how she felt towards him.

Overall I think that this book was a cute and quick read. I could see that there was a lot of growing up, but still needed some to do. There were parts where I felt like the characters really did show who they are. They learned to do things on their own (sometimes) learned to let go, move one, have fun, and most importantly be there for one another even when a hurricane comes rolling into their lives. (figuratively and literally speaking.) It may not have been one of my ULTIMATE favourites (although I am somewhat picky with books) I think that if you're looking for something fun, humorous, and packed with an adventure then this is a book you should be picking up. One of my favourite quotes from this book, actually comes out at the very end, and completely sums up the book (which I just loved about)

"'Cause maybe, sometimes, a girls gotta be bad in order to figure out how to be good"

So I really hope you enjoyed this review. If you have read the book, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it! If there are any new reviews you would like me to do, just send me a comment below. I'd love to hear from you!

Until then, Keep Reading!
Your Graduated Bookworm! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top